Thursday, September 23, 2010

Jade: Bitemypolenta

I love my carbs. I think there is very little in this world that is more comforting than a big bowl of steaming hot kimchi noodles...or a generous hunk of freshly baked bread. I don't, however, like potatoes...I know...I have my fish and chips without the chips..if I had my way I'd have it without the fish too..deep fried batter and tartar sauce..mm...I'd much rather have my sunday roast with steamed vegetables...and don't get me started on mashed potatoes...I wish I knew why...it's actually quite inconvenient to have to nibble the crispy bits off big fat chips and leave the rest of it in a pile..





Polenta chips~ the answer to my tuberphobia...not sure how much healthier it is though, considering the amount of cheese that went into it..but I suppose if you really want healthy, you could always opt for a carrot stick instead. Adapted from NQN

1 cup full cream milk
1 cup stock
3/4 cup polenta
1/4 cup finely grated cheddar
salt to taste
some paprika for a little kick
oil to grease the pan with

1. Grease an 8x8 baking tin
2. Heat milk, stock and stock until it just starts to bubble
3. Grab a whisk and start whisking as you pour in the polenta slowly
4. Keep stirring until cooked, mine took about 5 minutes...it's not a science..they tell you what to do on the packaging
5. You'll know when it's done...you end up with quite a stiff mixture...like super thick cake batter
6. Stir in the cheese
7. Scoop it into your greased tin and level it out with a spatula
8. Stick it in the fridge to set....should take a few hours
9. When it's ready, cut into thick chips and either shallow fry it till golden brown and crispy or bake in a 220 degree oven for about 20 minutes.
10. Serve with a juicy burger and lots of dip :)

No comments:

Post a Comment