Sunday, January 24, 2010
Chicken congee--[ adapted from Kuidaore]
65g thai jasmine rice
35g glutinous rice
250 ml chicken stock
( Or you could use only stock, 250 was all I had)
1 chicken leg quarter
small piece ginger
rock salt to taste
1. Wash rice till water runs clear
2. Fry ginger in sesame oil until ginger turns golden brown and crispy.
3. Drain and use the now flavoured oil to
marinate the rice, preferably overnight. Save the ginger bits for garnishing.
4. Bring stock and water to boil, add chicken,
ginger and rice.
5. Bring it back to the boil, then lower the heat to a bare simmer.
6. Let it simmer for about 2 hours, stirring every so often so it doesn't stick
7. Remove the chicken, and let the porridge simmer for another hour or until thick and velvety.
8. Once the chicken has cooled enough, shred and set aside to use as garnish.
9. Season the porridge to taste, ladle up, top with shredded chicken, chopped spring onions and fried ginger.
10. Serve with preserved radish omelette.