Saturday, January 9, 2010

Jade: Bitemyondehondeh

My mum loves anything made of glutinous rice flour. I, on the other hand, used to hate the thought of having to eat something that bore a disturbing resemblance to Flubber. So what I would do when my mum wasn't looking was stand over a bin, tear open the glutinous rice flour casing, suck out the filling and try my best to cover the now bland pastry with fruit peel.

I have since gotten over my fear of all things chewy and I must say, I quite like it now..mochi and all the rest of it..and as I sit here typing this, I'm beginning to see yet another pattern emerging....and shall resolve to break it, because while I am happy with my newfound relationships with previously shunned food, there was this boy back in school who I really really didn't like.....

Ondeh-ondeh

1 cup glutinous rice flour
Pandan essence and a few drops of green colouring [ you could always steam some sweet potatoes and mash it up for a gloriously orange version of this dessert]
Water
Gula melaka/ palm sugar, chopped or pounded till very fine [ just so it's easier to get the beautiful molten centre that defines this dessert]
Shredded coconut or dessicated coconut

1. Put a large pot of water on the hob and bring to
boil
2. Add the pandan essence and colouring to the flour and then add water. I do it this way because if you add the water first and the flavourings later, bearing in mind the flavouring and colouring are essentially extra liquid, you might end up with too wet a dough.
3. Add the water slowly, kneading as you go along until you get a dough the consistency of play dough. Pliable, but not sticky.
4. Pinch off a small ball, flatten it, and fill with the sandy sugar, making sure you get a good seal so nothing leaks.
5. Drop the balls into the pot of boiling water, remove with a slotted spoon once they float up to the surface, and roll in coconut.
6. Let cool slightly, and then the most important bit: pick up one of the soft little gems, pop it in your mouth whole, bite down, feel the satisfying squirt of sweet, molten caramel..and have another one ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment