Sunday, February 14, 2010

Jade: Happy New Year, everyone:)

It's here!! My favourite holiday! and the fact that all 4 of us girls are Tigers makes it all the more special, so happy tiger year, ladies;) And can someone please check if the Tiger has pissed the Tai Sui off again this year?...because if that's the case, I'm going to pretend I'm a different animal...just until finals are over.

I couldn't decide what to have on new year's eve...as petulant as it sounds, nothing seemed elaborate enough to make up for the glorious spread I would've gotten back at home. Call me spoilt, but if you had an uncle who sees any festival as an opportunity to cook up an absolute storm~ 4 types of slow-boiled soups, ginormous braised lionhead meatballs, fat pomfrets steamed 2 ways...and a mum who makes the best 'lor ak' [braised duck]...you would be an insufferable little food snob too. So I opted for a quiet evening in with a friend and my new flannel pyjamas, munching on the tubs of cookies piled high on my desk and the one dish that never fails to remind me of home:)

Ma's char bee hoon...well..wannabe anyway..[ my mum's version uses sayur paku, a fern that I've only seen in Sarawak...possibly Sabah..Since the UK isn't exactly known for its lush rainforests and exotic tropical delights, I had to do without]

3 cloves of garlic, minced
2 tbsp dried shrimps, rinsed and roughly chopped
2 spring onions, chopped
Chili flakes
Mixed seafood, because I had some left over from my laksa

Rice noodles/bee hoon. [I got mine in one of those ready prepared packs from Asda, best bee hoon I've had in this country. Perfect amount of bite, and it didn't disintegrate into mush despite all the tossing and stirring]

Fish sauce and light soy to taste


1. Heat up some oil, chuck in the garlic, shrimps, and spring onions.
2. Fry till fragrant and the garlic bits start 'popping'. Hurts, but it's worth it
3. Add the chili flakes and rice noodles and toss till noodles turn a pretty pale gold
4. Add seafood, toss
5. Season to taste
6. I served mine with a sprinkling of spring onions and chili flakes in a pretty white bowl...but when I'm at home, I just wait around with a fork until my mum's done. Then I all but run over and eat..straight from the wok;)

No comments:

Post a Comment