Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Sush: Peanut Cookies for CNY

Because I promised Jade that I would finally update my space here :)

Been on a baking frenzy of late, just because I've been quite stressed out with work etc. Also, it was an excuse to have trial runs to bake cookies since Chinese New Year is right around the corner! My weekends are completely filled up for the next few weeks with me being in London so baking has to be during the weeknights.
I tried Jade's pineapple tarts recipe below over the weekend, and they turned out beautifully! Thanks again, babe! The crust melts in the mouth like a dream.



I have to admit, I'm a peanut butter addict. I can devour a whole tub of peanut butter in one sitting (okay, maybe two sittings). I love adding peanut butter to my chocolate chip cookies, I get cravings for peanut butter and jam sandwiches. And I LOVE Reese's!!! The British find it very hard to comprehend the fascination the Americans have for peanut butter and some can't even handle the fact that peanut butter is eaten with chocolate!

Tonight, I made peanut cookies. :) Besides pineapple jam tarts, these are my next best favourite Chinese New Year cookies. Fragrant, salty yet sweet, and with the crunchy yet soft texture. Its like confusion in your mouth! :P Have I mentioned that they're delicious?


This recipe was adapted from Lily Wai Sek Hong's blog. She's like the queen of oriental desserts and dishes for online recipes. :)

Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups skinless peanuts , fried/roasted and processed till fine
1 cup fine granulated sugar
2 cups self-rising flour
1 tsp Baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
5 - 6 fl oz cooking oil (preferably peanut oil)

Egg yolk + 1 tsp water for glazing


Method:
Mix the dry ingredients like sugar, salt, processed peanuts and flour until they are well-mixed and crumbly.

Add oil bit by bit and knead the mixture until the sugar is dissolved and a small piece of dough can be formed into a ball. (I didn't use all the oil given in the recipe).

Roll the dough into small balls and place them on a lined baking sheet. Use a straw and press gently on the top of the balls to make round indents. My house didn't have straws, so I improvised and used a knife to make crosses across the center.

Glaze with egg and bake in preheated oven 350F (180C) for about 12 - 15 minutes or until golden brown.

Wait until cooled completely. Don't be deceived, they're HOT! The cookies have very high propensity for latent heat. Then pop into mouth and devour and savour the way they should be :) Best taken with a mug of coffee or tea.

<3

No comments:

Post a Comment