Thursday, December 10, 2009

Jade: Bitemyseafoodsoup

I've always liked crabsticks. There. I said it. Those garishly red and white logs of surimi masquerading as crab meat. Purists would happily run me over with a car at this point, but crabsticks take me back to my childhood, to days of large reunions and giant vats of hot soup at my grandma's place...And as someone who lives for a good steamboat, a chunky crabstick is the one thing that goes best with any kind of chili sauce..I think it's because they unravel just enough for the gooey spiciness to seep into every little crevice..aahh...So when I went shopping for seafood to make me a hot and spicy bowl of soup, I was rather pleased to see crabsticks featured in the packs of assorted seafood.



Seafood soup

1 pack assorted seafood, or if you prefer, get a nice assortment of squid rings, fish, prawns, mussels and clams from your fishmonger

3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 onion, sliced
1 potato, peeled and cubed
1 400g can chopped tomatoes
150 ml white wine [ or stock ]
Dried thyme or oregano
Salt and pepper/paprika to taste

1. Heat up some olive oil and sauteed garlic and onions until the onions turn a nice golden brown
2. Add the herbs and potatoes
3. Add white wine and simmer till slightly reduced
4. Add chopped tomatoes and simmer gently till potatoes are fork tender
5. Chuck in the seafood and bring to boil
6. Season to taste and savour the intense flavours soaked up by the soft, spongy seafood sticks..unless of course you chose not to add them...to which I can only say...sighh


No comments:

Post a Comment