Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Jade: Bitemycookies #3

I remember my first box of After 8's. I was 6, all dressed up in a pastel yellow dress with white polka-dots, lacy socks and white leather mary-janes. I was about to meet one of my mother's closest friends, a quirky British doctor who loved durian and deep sea fishing. I must've rehearsed how I planned to greet him about a million times, so eager was I to make a good impression. We went grocery shopping...don't ask me why...and as we strolled past the chocolate aisle, I spotted After 8's. My mum had told me about them before, and to my 6-year old self, they looked like the most sophisticated things. I wanted them...but I was so intent on behaving that day I bit my lip and kept going. The good doctor must've noticed that slightest of lingers..because he slipped a box into the shopping cart and as we left the shop, pressed the beautiful black box into my hands. Was it all worth it? To be honest, I thought it tasted like chocolate covered toothpaste...but to this day, I have never turned down an After 8 mint, simply because it reminds me of one of the most special people I've ever met:)

Mint Choc Chunk cookies ~ My cookie version of After-8's, because my parents' had just left, I'd run out of vanilla and was still technically unemployed. I miss being technically unemployed...

1/4 cup castor sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
114g salted butter, melted
1/4 cup vegetable oil [ I used olive oil because I haven't had time to go grocery shopping for about a month]

1 medium egg
1/2 tbsp milk
200g flour
50g cocoa powder
1/2 tsp crushed sea salt
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
1 tspn baking soda
1/2 tbsp mint extract/ oil
1 cup dark chocolate chunks

1. Preheat oven to 175 degrees
2. Cream butter, sugar, oil, milk and mint
3. Add dry ingredients
4. Fold in the chocolate chunks
5. Chill the dough for about half an hour
6. Scoop out large dollops and drop them on a cookie sheet, bake for 8-12 minutes
7. Cool, break one in half, and share with someone you like:)

No comments:

Post a Comment