Wednesday, August 18, 2010
I had this fantasy...that I would start work, take care of sick people in the day, go home at 5, cook myself a nice hot meal, buy lots of fancy bakeware with my fat pay cheque and bake pretty things over the weekend. It's been 2 and half weeks, sick people who pull out their cannulas are really starting to irk me, I have yet to leave the hospital before 6 on any given day, cereal's about the closest thing I've had to a balanced meal and I'm oncall every other weekend. Oh as for that pay cheque, I'm still waiting....and waiting...Like I said, I had this fantasy...
Kimchi fried rice~because my kimchi was expiring...I'm sure I've said this before..but who knew kimchi expires? Surely the whole point of preserving vegetables is so they don't go bad...like ever...
1/2 cup cooked short grain rice, overnight's better
lots of chopped garlic
2 stalks spring onions, chopped
Fatty bacon, diced
Kimchi, sliced fairly thin
1 tbsp gochujang/ korean chilli paste
fish sauce to taste
1 egg, sunny side up
1. Slap the bacon in a pan, fry till crispy..rendering the fat as you go along
2. Add the chopped garlic and spring onions
3. Add the kimchi and gochujang
4. Turn up the heat, add the rice and stir to coat everything in the yummy spicy paste. I like to leave it while I do the washing up, that way you get beautiful crackly bits of rice at the bottom of the pan. Probably the closest you'll get to 'wok hei' on an electric hob.
5. Season to taste, plate and top with an egg, sunny side up. Runny yolk please...fried eggs with solid yolks are an utter waste of time.
6. Enjoy with a nice korean drama :)