Thursday, September 23, 2010
Fluffy homemade naan and creamy chicken curry. So easy..yet so satisfying. On a completely unrelated note, my patient told me I look 25.....so I stuck in a large bore cannula instead of a bitty blue one....the things we do to get through the day....
Naan~adapted from here
1 satchet dry yeast, about 7g
1 tsp sugar
1/2 cup warm water
2.5-3 cups flour
1 tsp salt
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/3 cup buttermilk [ 1/3cup milk with 1 tbsp lemon juice/vinegar, left to curdle]
1. Mix warm water and sugar and sprinkle yeast on top. Make sure the water isnt too hot, else it'll kill the yeast. Leave the mix in a warm place until it foams, the oven is a good place as long as it's switched off please
2. Whisk the oil, milk and egg and set aside
3. Start off with about 2 cups of flour. Make a well in the centre of the flour and salt, add in the now bubble yeast mixture, give a few quick stirs, and add the egg mix
4. Once you get a clumpy, sticky dough, turn onto a well floured counter and knead, adding flour as you go along. You want a soft, smooth dough that doesn't stick to your hands
5. Pat into a ball and leave to rise in a lightly greased bowl for about 45 minutes. Again, oven is a good place.
6. Once it's doubled in volume, flatten slightly and divide into 8 balls
7. Heat up a non stick frying pan, you could grease it lightly if you'd like, I didn't bother. Roll out the bread dough, don't do it all in one go, best to roll one out and cook it straightaway.
8. Cook the bread on medium heat till it bubbles on top, flip over and cook for a while longer...generally takes a few minutes
9. Serve as is or brush with some garlic oil and sprinkle with chopped coriander...I'm thinking cumin seeds and crushed curry leaves for my next batch:)