Sunday, October 25, 2009

Jade: Bitemyglassnoodles

On days when I come home shattered and starving, I want nothing more than a steaming bowl of slurpy noodles. But having subsisted on every brand of instant noodles I could get my hands on in the first few years of uni..I think it's time to give the carcinogens a rest. For days like these, I make sure there is always a large pack of glass noodles in my pantry. You can get them in chinese stores either in one big packet, or like how I get them, in individual packs of 10. Super quick and I have to say, the fact that they are transparent is enough to convince me that I'm not actually eating anything at all...eases the guilt about 2nd helpings:P
~~

All it takes really is some rough chopping, and a quick stir-fry. And what you decide to throw in is absolutely up to you. I use garlic, anchovies, mushrooms, and since I'm not a big fan of meat, any vegetables I have on hand: fresh bak choy, spinach, french beans. I have to insist you try cucumber though. Peeled and thinly sliced, let it simmer in a bit of stock or water and oyster sauce while you do your washing up..until it goes all tender and translucent. Chuck in the soaked glass noodles, give it a quick stir, dash of white pepper if you so prefer...just a little bit though [ I find white pepper so much more pungent than black pepper] and tuck in. So refreshing, so delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment