Monday, April 5, 2010

Jade: Bitemybuttermilk

There is this bakery opposite where I live back at home. Really really good buns, appalling service. I'm not one for violence but I have been sorely tempted on more than one occasion to throw a frying pan at the 2 owners. The thing that keeps me going back and my urge to hurt someone in check is the buttermilk bun. Not the tangy buttermilk that guarantees a moist cake, but rather this intensely buttery crumble-like concoction that is simultaneously sweet and savoury. It reminds me of the squishy buns we used to get off those mobile sundry shops that would come round in the mornings and how my cousin and I would tear the buns open, scrape out the filling and leave the stale bread. I tried recreating that filling in my kitchen to soothe my ego after pastest told me I'm unfit to sit for finals...choosing to encase the delicate filling in layers and layers of flaky chinese puff pastry instead. I am happy to announce that I no longer have reason to put up with rude bakery owners..and should they upset me ever again, I can always buy me a new frying pan after ;)

Buttermilk pastry~ my new favourite thing to eat
Water dough
120g flour
1/4 tsp maltose dissolved in 1/4 cup water
20g sugar
pinch of salt
35g butter

Oil dough
100g flour
60g shortening

Filling
100g butter
80g icing sugar
100g milk powder
pinch of salt

1. See here for pastry method
2. Leave pastry to rest for about 10 minutes and preheat oven to 200 degrees
3. Cream butter, sugar and salt, and beat in milk powder to form a soft, pliable dough
4. Shape into little spheres and wrap
5. Give the pastries a quick eggwash and bake for 20-25 minutes
6. You absolutely have to have one fresh from the oven...doesn't matter if it's burning hot...you need to smell the milky fragrance that wafts towards you as you cut into the pastry..you need to feel the light, crisp pastry melt on your tongue..and you need to let the utter pleasure that is the gorgeous buttermilk filling wash over you and absolutely make your day :)


No comments:

Post a Comment