Monday, April 19, 2010
It's 1.30 in the afternoon, I'd spent the morning speaking to newly pregnant women...sounding like Donald Duck thanks to a heavy cold did nothing for my credibility..Nose dripping like a tap, I take a tentative step towards the canteen, momentarily pleased to have blocked sinuses that protect me from the usual pong of overcooked vegetables and old grease. In my head, I make a little deal with God~ If soup of the day is double-boiled chicken soup with shitaake mushrooms and fish maw, I shall donate my first paycheck to the NHS. Heart pounding, I lift the lid of the soup pot......No fish maw...only the remnants of a vegetable bouillon cube and some sad bits of cabbage.. :(
Tofu Soup~ the first thing I made the second I got back to my own kitchen.
1 block white tofu
300g pork ribs
1 tomato, quartered
1tbsp fried shallots
salt and pepper to taste
1. Blanch pork ribs, pour away the water, and refill the pot with about 3-4 cups of water
2. Add the tomato and fried shallots and bring to boil
3. Lower heat and simmer for about an hour
4. Add tofu, season to taste and simmer for another 10 minutes or so
5. Ladle into a large bowl and sip slowly while plotting grand bids to take over NHS catering.
** And if you get bored of plain tofu soup, a tablespoon of good quality tom yum paste, some coriander and lime juice, good splash of fish sauce and some seafood gives you instant, sexy tom yum soup ;)