Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Jade: Bitemycrumble

I think most people have their own little quirks when it comes to food~ a defining routine perhaps..or a pet peeve they have absolutely no tolerance for. I save my favourite bits on a dish till last, so I can savour them slowly once everything else is gone...the yummy egg whites of a slow braised soy egg.. the hot, crunchy skin off a piece of fried chicken..the juicy mushrooms in a rich stew...they stay on the corner of my plate not because I don't want them, and if you touch them I will hit you. I nibble the ears, arms and legs off gummy bears...I might eat the head if I'm in a good mood, but never the body. And very little irks me more than soggy pastry alá hospital canteens. Why anyone would drown a perfectly decent apple crumble or pie in watered down custard is beyond me. My way involves getting a wide bowl, sitting my piece of crumble right in the centre, and ladling the custard around the fruity compote so the crumble stays the way it's meant to stay~~ crumbly ;)

Apple crumble [ courtesy of a mid-movie craving and the lone apple in my fridge]

1 apple, peeled, cored and chopped into chunks
1 tbsp butter
2 tbsp brown sugar
Large pinch of cinnamon
1 tbsp white wine [ you could use water or juice, I was feeling a little self indulgent]

3 tbsp plain flour
1 1/2 tbsp cold butter
Pinch of salt
1 tsp sugar

1. Preheat oven to 200 degrees
2. Put the apple, butter, sugar, cinnamon and wine in a little pot, and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally~ You want to cook it down to a deliciously soft, sticky mess
3. Spoon into a ramekin, and leave to cool
4. In the meantime, rub the flour and butter until you get a coarse, mealy mixture
5. Stir in the sugar and sprinkle over the compote. I love the crumble topping, so I am very generous with it
6. Bake for 20 minutes, till the topping is golden and bubbling
7. Serve as is, with custard or ice cream and curl up in your squishiest chair with a girly film...my choice? New Moon. Oh the cheesiness ;P

No comments:

Post a Comment