Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Jade: Bitemydates


For as long as I can remember, my grandma would brew a huge pot of red date tea on the first day of Chinese New Year. And on the morning of the first day, all her children, grandchildren and great grandchildren would gather in her kitchen, slurping down bowls of longevity noodles and cups of this sweet tea. It never occurred to me that I didn't actually have to wait until new year to have it...until my mum started brewing her own. It's amazing how 4 simple ingredients can give off such concentrated flavour...sweet, smoky...and a lovely note at the end that reminds me of palm sugar.



Ang zhor teh [Wikipaedia says it's good for stress and soothing sore throats...just so happens I have both]

100g red dates
80g dried longan

3 honey dates
5-6 cups water
lump sugar

Dump everything into a stock pot and boil for about 1-2 hours
Serve hot on a nippy day. Don't forget your porcelain spoon to scoop out crunchy bits of longan;)

~Although when I'm back home and it's 40 degrees, my mum always makes sure there's a ginormous bottle in the fridge

No comments:

Post a Comment