Saturday, April 24, 2010

Jade: Bitemydongfun

One of my best friends' uncle owns a little coffeeshop in the old part of town. My family has been eating there since forever. It's nothing fancy~none of the western inspired deco sported by so many cafés these days, no colourful drinks with posh names..Just good old-fashioned mosaic-tiled floors, giant white ceiling fans and metal chairs. And the food? Proper hearty, homey fare that never fails to make me smile. It's the sort of place where you see the same retired old men sitting at the same table every morning with their cups of coffee, where the owners know you so well they bring you what you want before you even ask for it..Helps too that I get to eat for free when I go with my friend :P



Fried Dong Fun/ Bean threads [ One of my favourite dishes at Ah Hee's, who knows " giam liao, dang hoon ka jer'' ~go easy on the meat and veg, more bean threads please ]

Bean threads, soaked in cold water till soft and tossed in a bit of sesame oil so they don't go clumpy
Sliced belly pork, marinated in kicap manis, shao xing wine and sesame oil. Use beef if you prefer
Carrots, julienned
Spring onions, julienned
Cabbage, julienned
2 cloves garlic, minced
Beansprouts if you like them. I always pick them out so it's a bit pointless
1 tbsp kicap manis
1 tbsp shaoxing wine
Light soy to taste

1. Get a wok really hot, heat up some oil, and stir in the garlic
2. Add the julienned vegetables and give a quick stir. You could set them aside so they retain their crunch, but I hate carrots, so I will do anything to mask their taste n texture.
3. Add the pork
4. Add bean threads and toss well
5. Drizzle in the wine and kicap manis and season to taste
6. I like to leave it in the searing hot wok while I do the washing up so I get little charred bits at the bottom
7. Plate and slurp :)

And for dessert, because it's Friday and I had some leftover crumble mix that I'd frozen, a lush banana pecan crumble, my most comfy pyjamas and my favourite cooking show.

No comments:

Post a Comment