Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Sush: Brunch in Londontown

I'd like to share my favourite haunts for brunch when I'm in Londontown. I do adore having 'brunch' really, even saying it puts a silly grin on my face! I guess cuz it makes me feel like I'm one of the girls in SATC, or living a more dreamy, easy going life. Definitely a lifestyle I've picked up ever since being in the UK.

Anyway, here a few of the places which I return to frequently when it calls for the said meal. :) Some discovered by myself with friends, and others introduced by my good friend Vin who has been in London for the last 10 years.

1. Le Providores :
This place has very imaginative breakfast and lunch style dishes. Not cheap, but definitely well worth a visit if you're looking to treat yourself.
Favourite dishes
include the smoked salmon with eggs benedict and hollandaise sauce, french toast (pecans & caramelised bananas) with crispy bacon, turkish eggs, chorizo with eggs benedict. Their coffee here is also exceptionally smooth and rich. The place also does lighter style breakfasts such as muffins, toast, and croissants. Note though, that queues on the weekends can be quite long so try to go early! I've waited in line for 30-40 mins before.

Chorizo with eggs benedict and rocket

Turkish eggs

French toast with pecans and bananas with crispy bacon

109 Marylebone High Street, London, England W1U 4RX tel (+44) 020 7935 6175

2. Joe Allen

A basement restaurant/bistro/bar, this is located at the edge of Covent Garden. Its quite hidden, so you just have to look out for the green sign.
I've been to this place a couple of times and they do an amazing Sunday brunch. :) Always having the option to either have your food with champagne or without, the food here doesn't disappoint either. Menu choices are the typical British bistro food and they're famous for their Sunday lunch actually. Here's a quick glance at their breakfast menu. Pricier than most brunch places, the Sunday lunch menu will set you back at least £20 I've only visited this place when I was feeling a tad richer, or showing people around. Service and food are lovely though. I've never had better sausages and mash, ever. I kid you not. ;)

The interior decor of the restaurant has an American vibe, seeing as it has branches in the US as well.

13 Exeter Street London WC2E 7DT Tel:020 7836 0651

3. Raoul's

Recently discovered, this will be my alternative to Le Providores. Its slightly cheaper, and I have nothing bad to say at all about their eggs benedict with smoked salmon and toasted bagel muffins. :) The coffee brewed here is enough to make me smile too.
I have only tried their one dish, and my companion that morning had their full English breakfast. Didn't really look anything out of the ordinary, but he swears that it was yummy.
I will definitely venture back here and give their other dishes a try.
The restaurant has two branches; Nottinghill and Maida Vale. Again, as all good food eats go, there was a queue to get a table. The plus side to this place, its definitely more spacious than Le Providores and its brighter as well. The walls are brightly coloured, giving you that cheery feel on a weekend morning.

Raoul's Cafe & Bar Notting Hill 105 - 107 Talbot Road Between Westbourne Grove & Ledbury Road London W11 2AT United Kingdom Phone +44 (0) 207 229 2400 Opening hours: Monday - Sunday 8.30am - 11:00pm

4. Tom's Kitchen

Only been to this famous eatery once and tried their French toast. Tom's Kitchen do theirs differently from others that I've tried. The bread is almost like Hainanese bread that you get with your butter and kaya (if you know what I'm talking about). Its very light and fluffy, but thats deceiving as the dish gets a tad bit sweet after a while. Served with cream and caramelized apples, its delicious for the first few bites, but I found it overwhelming to finish. I've been told, however, that their blueberry pancakes are really lovely. :)
Most of the patrons that morning were only eating toast with the spreads, muffins, and simpler dishes.
You definitely have to call and get a table booked if you're eating on a weekend. The place is very popular and gets packed early. Located in South Kensington, its very popular with the local crowd and residents around the area. And call not just a day in advance, but as early as possible...

French Toast with cinnamon cream and caramelized apples

27 Cale Street, Chelsea, London, SW3 3QP
Tel #: 0207 349 0202

OPENING HOURS
Breakfast: Mon - Fri 7am -10am
Lunch: Mon - Fri, 12pm - 3pm
Dinner: Mon - Sun 6pm - 11pm
Brunch Sat and Sun 10am - 3pm

Ok, hope these are worth a visit again once you have chosen to give them a try. :) There are so many places in London, definitely will be adding more to my brunch list.







No comments:

Post a Comment