Monday, November 2, 2009

Jade: Bitemylamb

I've never been much of a meat person...I remember when I was younger, I would happily finish an entire bitter gourd on my own, but give me anything more than half a drumstick and I would give you a look so pained and forlorn anyone would be tempted to slap me before taking the offensive piece of meat away. Every now and again though, I come across a piece of lamb so beautifully cooked that for a few brief seconds, I forget I don't actually like meat; There was a christmas roast done by a family friend, the gorgeous black pepper lamb from one of my favourite restaurants at home and the lamb salad I made for dinner over the weekend.



Lamb salad with tangy thai dressing [Inspired by nigella]

100g lamb shoulder fillet [ please don't get anything too lean.. the fat is where the flavour is. I
know many people are put off by the smell of mutton/lamb and resort to all measures to mask it..Frankly, I don't get these people..it's like eating a popsicle but only after you've removed the flavour and sweetness. Go suck on an ice cube instead]
Salt, cracked black pepper and thyme

Salad leaves, as much as you want. [ Use a mix, you want something sweet and something slightly bitter to add a bit of a punch. I used endive, chicory and some shredded iceberg lettuce]

2 tbsp fish sauce
1 tbsp plum sauce
Juice of half a lemon or 1 lime
Sugar to taste
1 spring onion chopped
Half a red chili
Some toasted sesame seeds
Chopped mint [from my garden!! i've been dying to say that]
*Glass noodles optional

1. Rub the salt and herb mix on both sides of the lamb and leave to marinate.
2. Heat some olive oil in a pan, and pan fry the lamb for about 5 minutes on one side and 4 minutes on the other. Reduce the cooking time if you like it rare.
3. Take the lamb off the heat, cover the pan with
a lid/plate and let it sit while you make the dressing
4. Mix everything together for the dressing, tasting as you go along.
5. Slice the lamb thinly, arrange it on a bed of crisp salad leaves, spoon over the wonderfully tangy dressing, toss, grab a fork and tuck in.

The lamb should be lovely and crusty on the outside, light pink and juicy on the inside, and most importantly, meltingly tender. For a bit of variety, I threw in some glass noodles, gave it a quick stir in the pan to soak up all the lovely juices and tossed that into the salad. My mum said the whole thing sounded a bit odd when I told her about it..but take it from me...it's anything but.

P.S: Mars, before you even ask, yes you can add coriander

No comments:

Post a Comment