Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Jade: Bitemywintermelon

Look what I found in Chinatown!!! I love love love wintermelon and I think winter melon soup is possibly one of the best soups I've ever had.

If you've never had winter melon before, please please try this. Uncooked, it looks a bit alarming because it's huge...but once it's been simmered to death..oh..it's everything a melon should be~
Translucent cubes that are beautifully tender to
the point of disintegrating...sweet...subtle..with a hint of something that makes me think of pandan....and incredibly light. It's amazing how something so simple can deliver so much flavour...I could drink this all day..and actually..I have..for about 2 weeks now. What can I say..I got a bit carried away with the melon buying.

Winter melon soup ~guaranteed to cheer you up on a cold winter's day:)

300-400g pork ribs, or chicken [ on the bone
please]
Small handful of red dates
Small handful of goji berries
Big slice of winter melon, skin removed, and cut into generous chunks

1. Put the ribs, dates and goji berries in a pot of water and bring to a gentle simmer. Should take about 20 minutes.
2. Skim the frothy bits off the top of the soup, this takes while, so be patient. You don't have to do it, but I'm fussy that way.
3. Add the winter melon chunks and let it simmer on low heat for about an hour or 2.
4. Season to taste, ladle it up, savour the delicate fragrance the melon imparts....and take slow sips to make it last as long as possible:

No comments:

Post a Comment