Sunday, September 20, 2009

Jade: Bitemycookies

I can't sit still. I officially moved into my new room this morning..and after 2 days of dragging trolley after trolley of stuff, who the hell needs 20 scarves and 5 mixing bowls, pray tell...the owner is clearly demented...I suddenly found myself at a loss...I had nothing to do. I briefly considered asking to move again....but even I am not that sadistic. And so as always, when in doubt, I turned to my sanctuary..my kitchen.

~~




Butterscotch buttons ( adapted from some book my mum has, it's not very helpful, i know)

125g butter ( cookbooks always call for unsalted,
but I love a bit of salt in my sweets so I use salted)
1 tsp vanilla bean paste
70g brown sugar ( original recipe said 110g...i say diabetes much)
pinch of salt
1 tbsp golden syrup ( lightly grease the spoon you're using, helps the syrup slide right off without getting it all over yourself)
1 1/4 cup self raising flour
~~
1. Preheat oven to 150"C
2. Cream butter, sugar, salt, vanilla and syrup
3. Gently stir in flour
** This recipe gives a very soft and fiddly dough so I like to pop it in the fridge for about 5 minutes to firm up a bit. Gives me time to do the washing up as well.
4. Roll into little balls and press down with a lightly floured fork
5. You can either bake straight away, or if you're like me and don't like your dainty little buttons to spread into pathetic lumps in the oven, put it back into the fridge for about 5 minutes.
6. Bake for 20 minutes or until beautifully golden.
7. Enjoy the smell of warm butterscotch wafting through your house....and if you are that way inclined, this would be a perfect time to invite the in-laws over to show them you are good for
something other than racking up a healthy credit card bill;)

~~

And because I have a pitiful attention span, 20 minutes to spare while waiting for my buttons and bits of leftover veg-----A healthy omelette with red peppers, mushrooms and Brie, topped with onion jam and drizzled with honey mustard dressing.
Did I mention I love Sundays:)


P.S: Mars, there you go. Butterscotch buttons. After years of pestering me...and all those times you broke into my cupboard..this is beginning to sound more like a rap sheet than a trip down memory lane.

No comments:

Post a Comment