Saturday, September 12, 2009

Jade: Bitemysandwich

I used to be able to walk out in the middle of winter wearing nothing but a thin t-shirt. It was 25 degrees today, complete with a blazing sun, and I was the only clown in town (oooh look at me i made a rhyme) clinging to my pashmina for dear life. I used to be able to shop in stilettoes for 12 hours straight; I strolled along the highstreet in flat sandals for 2 hours today. All I wanted to do when I got home was soak my feet and curl up in bed. It's disgraceful I know. I think I'm getting old :(

And all I felt up for come dinnertime, was something light and comforting. Enter a warm toasted sandwich and a steaming bowl of sweet corn chowder. Lightly toasted baguette topped liberally with homemade onion jam and chunks of herbed goats cheese. I absolutely love the idea
of combining sweet and savoury so the sweetness of the caramelised onions and the salty creaminess of the cheese was, to me, a marriage made in heaven. And then there's my corn chowder, delicate honeyed notes from the corn with a hint of thyme, making it the perfect counter to the rather strong flavours of the sandwich.

This is all getting a bit out of hand though..first, soup for dinner. Next stop hello menopause...help me:(


* Recipe for corn chowder adapted from Nigella Express. I want to be like her when I grow up thankyouplease.

No comments:

Post a Comment