Thursday, March 11, 2010

Jade: Bitemycaramel

I have hoarding tendencies. I save giftwraps, cards, name cards...and when I can't find a bin, which happens quite often in this country due to the whole 'bomb in bin' paranoia, I stuff bills in my bag..and they stay there, until my sister cleans them out while giving me looks of absolute disgust. Sentiment or rather, sheer sloppiness aside, I also hate throwing out food. Only because I cannot stand the idea of wasting food. So my freezer is packed full of leftover soups, frozen carcasses for stock, leftover dumplings..all waiting to be revived in one way or another.

I had a mid-revision craving for Haagen Daz Chocolate Fudge Brownie yesterday...only the fudgy brownie bits that I painstakingly dig out, though.. I don't even like chocolate ice cream. Enter a tin of caramel and a hunk of frozen leftover kek batik~

Salted caramel ice cream with faux fudge chunks

300 ml double cream
200 ml evaporated milk [ chilled. You want this properly cold. I usually pop it in the freezer for about 10-15 minutes while I get the rest of the stuff ready]
150-200 g caramel [ You could make your own: sugar, butter and cream; I chose to open a tin]
1/2 tsp crushed sea salt [ Add this slowly, tasting as you go along..not difficult to do, I assure you]
Chopped up fudge, or in my case, kek batik [completely optional. The ice cream is lush enough on its own. Or you could do what I did, divide the mix in half and make 2 tubs of ice cream~one plain and one with fudge]

1. I like to pop a steel bowl and my mixing blades in the freezer for 15 minutes or so before I start just to get everything nice and cold, but it's up to you, really
2. Add sea salt to caramel and mix until you're happy with the balance of sweet and salty

3. Add double cream to caramel and whisk till well mixed, about a minute or so with a hand mixer
4. Pop in the freezer
5. In a separate bowl, whisk the evaporated milk till it thickens and doubles in volume. If your milk is cold enough, this should take about 2 minutes
6. Fold the cream and caramel mixture into the whisked evaporated milk. Don't worry about fiddling with the flavour at this stage, you'll get your chance later
7. Pour into a shallow container and freeze uncovered for 1-2 hours
8. Take out your ice cream, which should be frozen on the top and slushy underneath, and turn it into a bowl
9. Taste, add caramel or salt if needed, and whisk till you get a nice creamy mix
10. Fold in the fudge bits if using, and pour back into container, again, freezing uncovered for about 2-3 hours
11. Take it out, let it soften for a minute or 2, grab a spoon, close your eyes and savour the velvety, buttery cream..not too sweet, thanks to the sea salt..and that distinct taste of burnt sugar..mmm...better than Haagen Daz...

More importantly, leftover cake~sorted; craving~quelled;)


1 comment:

  1. Yum! Yum!...Better than Haagen Daz! Wow!!! That really must be something!

    ReplyDelete