Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Jade: Bitemymuffin

I've gone on before in a previous post about the wonder that is my mum's prune and horlicks cake. Gorgeously buttery, incredibly rich, it's one of those cakes that's guaranteed to please even the fussiest eaters. I would know, I live with 2 of them. Truth of the matter is though, delicious as that cake may be [and trust me, it is. I brought it to clinic once, and got a bonus mark in my assessment because of it. Don't play play], the mere thought of the amount of eggs and butter that goes into it is enough to dampen any urge I might have to bake the damn thing. Well I said dampen, not kill entirely :P I wouldn't be here if I hadn't figured out a healthy compromise..Aren't you a lucky lot ;)


Prune and Horlicks muffin with caramel swirl-- a butter-free and rather deconstructed version of my mum's naughty treat

1 1/4 cup plain flour [ take away 2 tbsp of plain flour, add 2tbsp corn flour]
1/4 horlicks
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp baking powder
Pinch of salt
2/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 egg
1 cup yoghurt
1 cup chopped prunes [ tossed lightly in flour so they don't sink to the bottom]
1/2 cup chopped pecans [ optional, I had some lying around and thought why not]
50g caramel

1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees

2. Whisk dry ingredients together
3. Whisk sugar, oil, egg and yoghurt till smooth
4. Add dry ingredients to the wet, and fold for a count of 10. No more, no less. Doesn't matter if the batter is lumpy, doesn't matter if you still see streaks of flour, just leave it. Chewy muffins= bloody waste of time
5. Add prunes and pecans and do a quick stir. 3 stirs should be more than enough
6. Spoon into muffin cups, I tend to fill mine up quite full because I'm greedy like that. And fat muffins are just so much more attractive
7. Drop a dollop of caramel on the top of the batter and swirl
8. Pop the tray in the oven, turn the heat up to 200 degrees and bake for 20-25 minutes
9. Cool the muffins completely, break one in half and enjoy the tender, malty crumbs with a nice cup of english tea :)

No comments:

Post a Comment