Saturday, March 6, 2010

Jade: Bitemysushi

I think the first time I ever had sushi must've been when I was...10? And to a 10-year old with a near pathological fish phobia, there was nothing worse than a piece of raw fish sitting on some cold rice. But I didn't want to hurt my dad's feelings, so I chewed and swallowed as quickly as I could then took a big gulp of scaldingly hot green tea. I figured if I couldn't have it cooked, I would cook it on it's way down, nevermind my possibly eroded oesophagus. Poor oesophagus:( So a tip for those of you who want to introduce sushi to the squeamish..baby steps, my friend... baby steps. Because once I discovered all the wonderful rice rolls that didn't involve raw fish, which I now love by the way, I was absolutely hooked. And really, with all the gorgeous colours, different textures and the fact that a good roll is a perfectly balanced meal in itself, what is there not to love? ;)

Breaded Surimi Sushi-- first attempt, won't be my last. Thanks for the help and moral support, Trina!

1 cup sushi rice
2 tbsp japanese rice vinegar
2 tsp castor sugar
1/2tsp salt

3 surimi sticks
lightly beaten egg
panko breadcrumbs [ you don't have to, I just had the egg and breadcrumbs left over from my croquettes, plain surimi's good too]
Cucumber, cut into chunky strips
Kewpie mayo

Toasted nori sheet
water

1. Cook sushi rice as per instructions on the packet. All the sushi recipes I've seen say to cook the rice on a stovetop..I couldn't be bothered. It's what rice cookers are for
2. Mix the vinegar, sugar and salt.
3. Once the rice is cooked, use a rice paddle and fluff it up, fanning as you go along. I used folded oven mitts because I'm innovative like that:P
4. Sprinkle the vinegar mixture over the rice and fold it in. I did it in batches.
5. While waiting for the rice to cool, heat up some oil, coat the surimi and egg and breadcrumbs and fry till golden brown and crispy
6. When the rice has cooled completely, take a nori sheet, lay it on your sushi mat and pat on the rice. You should need about half the rice for one roll.
7. Flatten the rice so you get a thin layer covering the nori sheet, not too much or you'll just end up with a stodgy roll. Leave a 1cm margin on the edge of the nori sheet farthest away from you
8. On the end that's closest to you, pipe a line of kewpie mayo on the rice about 2 cm in. Arrange you surimi sticks on the mayo and lay the cucumber strips as close to the surimi as possible.
9. Now roll! Lift the edge closest to you, bring it over the filling and press down firmly. Use the sushi mat to help you shape and compact the roll. Nothing annoys me more than a loose roll.
10. Now wet the edge farthest from you, and roll everything up. Again, pressing down firmly as you go along.
11. Dampen your knife blade, slice the roll up and serve with some good japanese soy sauce and lots of wasabi for lots of kick. Yummmm

No comments:

Post a Comment